General (applies to all submissions)
- Unless otherwise indicated, no previously published works will be accepted.
- Should they be accepted (special consideration), then written confirmation that the author has the copyright of the work being submitted is required.
- At end of submission you must put 5 stars * * * * * or The End including between poems unless the poems are part of a series.
- A current biography (100-150 words maximum) that can be printed in Voices must accompany all submissions or groups of submissions as a separate attachment.
- Biography and submissions must have separate attachments and must have writer’s name in the attachment or they will not be accepted
- If you are happy with your biography in the immediate previous edition of Voices, you just need to say that you wish to keep the current biography.
- Submissions which do not follow these guidelines will be rejected or sent back for corrections.
- Submissions in languages other than English will not be considered.
- All submissions will be included in an electronic version of the Voices Journal unless an opt-out form is submitted to the LWWG for the piece in question.
- Submissions must be received prior to 12 midnight of the deadline.
- For physical submissions post mark must be prior to deadline. If possible, please mail early to allow for postage and manual retyping of submission to occur.
* These early dates ensure ample time for proper marketing of Voices.
Spring Issue – January 31
Fall Issue – July 31
- The Editor’s decision is final.
- Only items accepted for publication will be edited.
- Must be 600 dpi or higher
- Must have vivid colours, be attention grabbing and clearly focused.
- Must include enough clear space for the title and issue numbers to show clearly.
- Times Roman or New Times font only
- 12 point font size only
- Document submitted must be in .doc format
- First page must have Title by Author
- Name, membership type, and contact information, including email, phone number, and mailing address on first page left hand side.
- Word Count on first page right hand side
- Must not include Headers or Footers
- Title should start halfway down first page, with “by” and author’s name or pseudonym, both should be centred
- Spacing should not be done manually (spaces or tabs).
* This includes stories, creative non-fiction, parts of serials, essays, letters or memoirs
- First paragraph is not indented. All other paragraphs are indented.
- Double spaced with one inch margins
- Do not manually put in page breaks
- Use Italics, do not underline
- The em-dash (long dash) ‘—‘ represents a cut, no spaces on either side and in dialogue it occurs inside quotation marks
- Ellipses have one space at end, i.e. “… the flowers… Then John …” Marion looked away. (In dialogue ellipses indicate a fading away and in example, they indicate that more came before, more space.)
- All punctuation marks in dialogue occur inside quotation marks.
- Maximum two pieces of 6000 words each per author (regardless of pen-name)
- Longer submissions may be accepted at the editors discretion.
- Permission must be granted by the editor in advance for serial pieces.
- After the first segment, all subsequent parts of the serial must be accompanied by a brief synopsis.
- Title should be centred using the Centre feature followed “by author’s name.”
- published page size is 5 by 8 inches and all poems will be adjusted accordingly
- please set up poetry the way you would like it to look with spacing between verses, it will be adapted to fit the 5 by 8 inch page
- may be single spaced
- If the poems are a series, please indicate this and indicate what order you wish them to be published.
- Maximum four poems for any given issue.
- The editor has the right to include an extra poem if it is part of a linked series. Please obtain permission first.
Pictures & Artwork
- Indicate if they are for your entry or for consideration for the cover or for the interior.
- Label as either “cover art” or “interior”. Label must also include name of sender and name of artist/photographer if different from sender.
- All photographs for interior must be 400 dpi or higher
- For interior, black and white only accepted.
- Note: interior colour pictures submitted will be converted to black and white. Should too much detail be lost, they may be removed with or without notification of the photographer.
- All pictures of identifiable persons must include written permission of that person to use that photo in publication with submission of photo.
- Pictures may be submitted by both members and non-members (the latter only for photographs
- Please label whether submission is for this present issue or for any issue or if it maybe be used by BK Publishing for consideration when printing other books.
- Nude photos of children will not be considered and may result in legal action.
- Clear instructions must accompany each picture.
- Use JPEG or img formats
Electronic Submission Form
The Lake Winnipeg Writers’ Group will accept physical submissions for Accessibility Reasons ONLY. If you are submitting via mail, please use the following information:
Lake Winnipeg Writers’ Group
R0C 2B0 CANADA
For further assistance please email [email protected] or contact our social media pages.
Downloadable PDF: LWWG Submission Guidelines 2019
Revised and approved at previous Executive Meeting: December 10, 2018